Saturday 19 May 2012

Final designs for wallpaper


This design was creating using my new fish scale motif and repeat filling the design in Photoshop I added colourways and also paint bucketted in my ladybird stack motif with the new faded colours and tidily cutout design.

The 1970s fish scale pattern is brought up to date by using a more contemporary colour palette but still has a retro feel to it.

I think this design is successful and when it was printed on wallpaper it too on a certain faded quality which is great as long as the orange does not turn into peach. For some reason I have an aversion to peach!

Target market wise I would not consider this for John Lewis as it is not mainstream enough and perhaps even a bit too bold and quirky for their market. I would like to think that a high end homeware retailer such as Habitat would consider this print. Even independent home decor retailers might consider this if their product ranges were fairly quirky.



This is the same design only without the ladybird background dropped in. Again, the colours are much more subtle in the printed wallpaper.


I scaled the design smaller for this wallpaper and created a layered imagery using my photo of my Brownie camera. 

The Brownie image was my own photo with a pencil filter added in Photoshop I then added a little bit of acid green to the image before repeating it into the design. 

Although the Brownie camera is not from the 1970s its still vintage and works well my obsession relating to the rounded rectangle shape. I like the way that although the whole camera can not be seen it still is a familar shape and really a rather cute image (well to me anyway).

If I could develop the above designs it would be to add in tonal gradients or stripes in tones of orange to the fish scale motif and then repeat. I would be interested to see how this would change the design.




3 comments:

  1. Really successful designs...think they would look amazing for feature walls and would look fantastic with simple modular furniture with a retro feel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Dibble, just attempting my moodboard now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love the final design with the brownie camera and the original one at the top with the ladybird stack. I would have this design on a feature wall of my dining room.

    ReplyDelete